http://sunshine--days.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/craftsHTML Map

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Lighting the cracks in the road

image: Pinterest

This afternoon I went to the funeral of a 15 year old cancer patient I've known for most of the time I've worked in the world of teenage cancer. It was incredibly sad to be at a funeral for someone so young, but I think every person took away a really positive message from the day. He'd always been a massive inspiration, and will forever stick out in my mind out of all the kids I've had the chance to work with as I'd never met anyone with as much spark and love of life. 

Since being told he wasn't going to get better around this time last year, he had set about pursuing a bucket list, with everything from swimming with sharks to going to his prom being on there. With the help of his friends and family he managed to complete an incredible amount and had some brilliant adventures out of it. Top of his bucket list was to go to America and visit New York, which amazingly he managed to do just a few weeks ago despite being so ill by this point. As a celebration of his enthusiasm to grab life by both hands and achieve everything he could in the time he had, his family arranged for a bucket to be placed at the front of the crematorium. They then proceeded to hand out post it notes to everybody so we could all pledge to start our own bucket lists and make a promise to him to do something new or aim for a particular goal. The post it notes were then going to be put into the coffin with him so we'd all be sure to keep our promises. 

For any curious people out there, my promise was that one day soon I'd make it to America too. Partly for him, but also for my Uncle Stuart who also visited New York before he died back in April. Since both people absolutely fell in love with the place, I feel like its only right I go and see what all the fuss is about someday!

Even at his own funeral he managed to be a huge inspiration, with every single person there coming away from there feeling inspired to go out and live their dreams for someone who couldn't do that for himself any more. 

What's at the top of your bucket list? I'm nosey and would love to know :)



2 comments:

  1. Bless you, I'm so sorry to hear about this. It sounds like he had a great life and enjoyed himself to the max! He really is an inspiration! And writing your own bucket list notes at his funeral is so lovely - it signals hope for the future. Definitely go to America! It was on my bucket list too, mostly New York as well! Which I went to almost a year a go and I can tell you it's amazing! And going in honour of this young man and your uncle will make it even sweeter :)

    I haven't made a real bucket list. I'm too scared - which sounds ridiculous but I'm scared I'll never do anything from it. I think I should take inspiration though and grab life by the balls and go for it! This seems like a boring one but right now I think it would be own my very own cat or dog. It'll be ages until I can do that but I will make it come true!

    Sorry for mad long comment! Lots of love and hugs to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sad but really lovely post. He sounds like an inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete