http://sunshine--days.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/craftsHTML Map

Wednesday 25 September 2013

But I fumbled and when I came down to the wire


Earlier this week I spent half of my afternoon chatting to one of the kids at work. I know you're not meant to have favourites but its impossible not to sometimes when there are some brilliant characters amongst them. When this girl first came into the hospital I was told she was really quiet and sensible but the first time I met her I had more trouble getting her to stop talking! She comes out with some brilliant stories and comments, and this week's took the biscuit. Out of nowhere, she came out with the comment "When I'm an adult I want to be like you... I mean you're a grown up but you're not at all grown up". 

At first I wasn't quite sure how to take that one but actually I realised she'd summed me up in a nutshell and it definitely wasn't a bad thing. Yes, I can be an 'adult'... I can do my own washing, pay bills and have a job with a fair bit of responsibility, but on the other hand I love nothing more than having the sense of humour of a 10 year old boy, dancing like I'm at a school disco and pulling faces at my friend from work when we're in meetings. Growing up and being a grown up are two totally separate things. And actually, I think I'm pretty proud that this girl decided that I made a good role model- I think I've got the best of both worlds as far as adult life goes, being able to live independently but also knowing not to take life too seriously. I want to look back on my life and think about how much I enjoyed myself and all of the fun memories I had, not how great it was to be a full time grown up person who didn't take the time to enjoy herself or let her hair down every once in a while at every possible opportunity.







9 comments:

  1. Aww, kids say the best things sometimes! That's definitely the way to be though, nobody wants to be too grown up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm totally a kid at heart so I know how this feels! What a nice thing to hear from the ill cutie :) xxx

    Www.squidgymoments.ie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! Kids say the best things :)xo

    iamlaurenpotts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, and it's so true! Kids come out with the best things! x

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is BEAUTIFUL Kaz. How sweet that you are her role model, i would have just wanted to give her a big hug xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh that is the cutest thing ever :') When you become a famous blogger people will know you best for being that Grown up who isn't that grown up at all, this kid has just changed history.


    Other Infinities

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right, youve got to still have a laugh and be a kid sometimes.
    I love this song too!
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg those cakes are absolutely amazing!!! I really want to have a go at re-creating them!

    Rose xo

    fashionrhapsody.com

    ReplyDelete